DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:43:59 +0800
Dear members

I am working on a integrated impacts assessment of climate change on Chinese agriculture, which need to consider the water supply scenarios under the climate change scenarios. We got the water supply scenarios (the total water amount available for agricultural irrigation) from other group, and then through DSSAT3.5 model, a irrigation schedule was designed for a given crop.

Either the amount, or the timing of irrigation is important to achieve optimal yields of crop, especially to those areas which don't have enough irrigaion water. Therefore, the irrigation water management based on the water supply scenarios is necessary for reliable integrated impacts assessment. In fields, The irrigaion timing and amount can be scheduled through some indicators such as soil- (e.g. Available water content), plant-(e.g. plant water status), and atmosphere-based approaches. However, in DSSAT model, the irrigation schedule only can be designed in input parameters in advance, it can not be adjusted automatically based on the simulated variables (e.g. AWC) or amount of water, which resulted in a variable crop yield corresponding to each climate change scenarios for the different irrigation schedule.

Therefore, how can I use the DSSAT model to optimize the irrigation management to achieve the optimal yields. Are there some approches to let the model automatize the irrigation timing and amount according to the real-time indicators(e.g. AWC).

Do you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Wei Xiong.

Climate Change Division

Institute of Agricultural Environment and Sustainable Development

Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences

12 Zhongguancun South Street Beijing, 100081, P.R.China

Email: [log in to unmask]