DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:20:02 -0500
8bit
From:
"Roger E. Rivero Vega" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
cc: Zoltan Igor Rivero Jaspe <[log in to unmask]>, Roger Rolando <[log in to unmask]>
Dear all:

Sorry for writing everyone because I think there may be others who are
interested in such a problem as Carlos is having in his simulations.

First: The simulation described by Carlos seems to be very near to
simulating what the Wageningen school calls "Potential yield" for potato.
Limited only by genetics, radiation and temperature.

Second: Actual yields divided by potential yields can be defined as a
"production efficiency" . According to Beukema and van der Zaag (1990)
potential yield in the state of Washington (USA) and the Netherlands can be
as high as 140 and 100 tons / ha with an actual production of 65 and 45 tons
/ ha leading to production efficiencies of 0.46 and 0.45. So a potential
production of 110 ton / ha and an actual production of 40 - 50 ton / ha
leading to production efficiencies of 0.36 - 0.45 in the United Kingdom is
perfectly possible and not an error of the SUBSTOR potato model.

Third: In principle you don't even need SUBSTOR for calculating potential
yields of potato in the UK. That can be done from my desk using stationary
crop models such as FAO Agroecological Zones Model (Doorenbos and Kassam,
1979) or van der Zaag model (Beukema and van der Zaag, 1990). If you are
interested in having the necessary tables and formulas for using these
approaches I would be in the best of disposition of making them available
for you.

Fourth: It is normal that SUBSTOR is reporting N stress when you lower your
fertilizer amounts under 400 kg / ha. To be able to obtain such a high
potential production the potato plant requires a lot of mineral nutrients!

With my very best wishes,

Roger E. Rivero Vega

Beukema, H. P.; D. E. van der Zaag  (1990): Introduction to potato
production. Pudoc Wageningen, Netherlands, 207 pp.

Doorenbos, J. and A. H. Kassam (1979): Yield response to water. FAO
Irrigation and Drainage Pap. 33, FAO, Rome, 193 pp.