From:
Scott Robichaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2023 06:00:22 -0400
I am here in the southern part of the Dominican Republic, and I wanted everyone to know that the Cypraea turdus are thriving here. We are here with a group of seven shellers and everyone has a small handful of this invasive species. I personally found 5 fresh dead specimens ,  and 2 live ones. The largest one I have is 45 mm. They seem to be well-established here. Although the funny thing is, most of the shells encountered were dead. Fresh dead, as they are all nice and shiny And they are easy to spot on the bottom because they are all upside down with the white aperture showing up. There are no octopus holes in these shells, and I’m wondering what is eating them. There is a heavy population of. Murex pomum in the same area. I am wondering if that’s the predator? I know there are quite a few folks who are compiling a list of all the islands in the Caribbean that the shell has been reported on, and I’m not sure if Hispaniola was one of them, but I can assure you they are here, and here to stay.
On another note, there were no other Atlantic cowries that came up in our shelling endeavors as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone
http://listserv.uga.edu/scripts/wa-UGA.exe?SUBED1=conch-l-L&A=1