DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Michael Pool <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:50:38 -0600
    I am still in the process of collecting maize genetic parameters to
use with the CERES-Maize model in DSSAT 2.1.   I can get some data from
Deborah Muenchrath's dissertation on Tohono O'odham maize; however, I
need to convert GDD10 to GDD8.  I think I can convert the GDD but I will
have figure out the total number of days.  Is there a simple formula or
program to do this?

    I  lost my Netscape address book and old emails.  If you have
requested any information I have found out, please let me know again so
I'll
know who to send the information to.

    I have done enough research to be more specific on the native maize
varieties I am looking at.  The archaeological literature on prehistoric
maize
indicates that these varieties were similar to the following modern
native varieties (most from northern Mexico):

Chapalote
Reventador
Mais de Ocho/Harinoso de Ocho
Onaveno
Mais Blando
Pima-Papago
Hopi
Fremont Dent (?)
Mexican Pyramidal (?)

    So, I'll renew my request with these specific varieties in mind:

Does anyone have or know where I can find or estimate the genetic
parameters for the CERES-maize model for southwestern US aboriginal
maize
varieties?  Specifically, I need:

Juvenile Phase: growing degree days (base 8 degrees C) from seedling
emergence to end of juvenile phase (P1)

Photoperiod: photoperiod sensitivity coefficient (P2)

Grain-filling Duration: growing degree days (base 8 degrees C) from
silking to physiological maturity (P5)

Kernel Number: potential maximum kernel number per plant (G2)

Kernel Weight:  potential kernel growth rate (mg/kernel per day) from
silking to just before physiological maturity under optimal conditions
(G3)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--
Michael Pool