DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Abraham Singels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:06:20 +0200
Dear Luis Alvarez,

We are pleased to see that you are considering using CANEGRO. As with
other crops in DSSAT, CANEGRO will require the basic weather and soil
information as described in the DSSAT manual. There are also three key
references specifically describing validation work done on CANEGRO
(unfortunately two of them are currently in press):

Inman-Bamber, N.G., 1991, A growth model for sugar-cane based on a
simple carbon balance and the CERES-Maize water balance., S. Afr. J.
Plant Soil 8(2): p93-99.

Singels, A., Bezuidenhout, C.N., 2002, A new method of simulating dry
mater partitioning in the CANEGRO sugarcane model., Field Crops Res., in
press.

Kiker, G.A., Inman-Bamber, N.G., Hoogenboom, G., McGlinchey, M.M.,
2002. CANEGRO: a model of growth and sucrose yield of sugarcane. Agric.
Syst., in press.

We were recently involved with the MSIRI in validating CANEGRO for
Mauritius.  This would be an excellent example for you to follow. You
can contact Fareeda Cheeroo Nayamuth <[log in to unmask]> for
more information. I am sure she would not mind telling you what her data
set consisted of.

You could divide CANEGRO validation into two categories, (1) canopy
validation and (2) biomass validation.  Under the canopy you should
ideally measure leaf emergence and senescence, leaf area, stalk
population, and light interception. Under biomass it will be neccesary
to at least measure above ground biomass, millable stalk biomass and
sucrose mass. You could also measure leaf and sheath mass, trash mass
and the meristem. In both categories sequential measurements are needed
through the duration of the trials.

With the help of Greg Kiker and Gerrit Hoogenboom we are planning to
implement the new biomass partitioning module (Singels & Bezuidenhout
2002) into DSSAT CANEGRO. The new version is more mechanistic and has
proved to be more accurate, especially in the simulation of sucrose.  We
are currently investigating the formation of a Canegro consortium to
support collaboration and DSSAT code maintenance.  If you are interested
in this effort then we would appreciate your vote of support at this
stage. We will post any new developments on the DSSAT list server.

We hope this information is of value to you.

Kind regards,

Carel Bezuidenhout & Abraham Singels
SASEX
Mount Edgecombe
South Africa

>>> luis alvarez <[log in to unmask]> 05 September 2002 10:33:44

Dear Gerrit:
We are trying to validate Canegro for out tropical farm conditions in
order
to use it with a GIS to evaluate sugar cane production. Is there any
minimum
data set for sugar cane?, how could we get it or some literature that
can
help our field measurements?
Sincerely yours:
Luis E. Alvarez L.
Universidad Ezequiel Zamora. UNELLEZ
Guanare. Estado Portuguesa. Venezuela.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Any comments or opinions in this email or its attachments are merely stating our views and carry no guarantee as to their accuracy.

Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus free network, the sender does not warrant that a computer virus has not been transmitted herewith and urges you to virus-check this e-mail message. Accordingly, the sender will not be liable for any damages as a result of transmission of a computer virus with this e-mail message

The South African Sugar Association reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.