DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Gangadhar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:43:03 -0700
Hello,

As systems modellers we should not forget the basic
law of limiting factors. Any process which is governed
by multiple factors, like plant growth and development
in this case, it becomes limited by the factor which
is in short supply.

In temperate World where often low temperature is the
limiting factor for plant growth, when all the factors
are near optimum or in abundance, we can get a
relationship between temperature (thermal time
concept) and growth.

But if you consider regions where plant growth is
limited by water supply, then thermal time concept
fails. In such circumstances one can get relationship
between plant growth and water supply. For example in
India where I have some experience, if two plots are
sown on the same day one is irrigated and the other is
rainfed there will be difference in the growth and
also phenology of the crop. In this case the thermal
time is same as they are growing side by side. Here I
am not going into a finer measurement of microclimate
mesurements (Hope Prof.Ritchie is listening).

It would be interesing to hear the comments of
Prof.Joe Ritchie, Prof.Jim Jones and Dr.Hoogenboom in
this regard

Gangadhar Rao Depala
Principal Scientist
Central Research Institute for Dryland agriculture
Hyderabad, India, 500027

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute