Sender:
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:47:14 -0500
Funny you should ask.
   I am in the midst of reading Origin of Species. The paperback version. Archy Toothless, the giant Squid who lives in my perpetually wet basement, claims to have a first edition. But he lies a lot and cheats at chess. For those interested, the book is scholarly, no murders or detectives. Lots of sex and violence though---as that is one (or two) of the ways Evolution progresses.
   For those interested, a museum called "Answers in Genesis" will open shortly in Kentucky. I'm sure they will prove Darwin to have been wrong. After all, what about all those caveman kiddies shown in pictographs leading baby dinosaurs around on leashes?
   Art

> From: "M. J. Faber" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2004/02/17 Tue AM 06:59:03 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: The extinction of the original Origin of species (a mollusk book?)
>
> Hello ConchLers,
>
> with all the recent messages on Charles Darwin's birthday, and on the
> extinction of mollusks, I now wonder how many copies of the1st printing of
> Darwin's "On the origin of species" still survive today. It is common
> knowledge that 1.250 copies were printed, and an often repeated story is
> that the book sold out on the very first day. But where are all these copies
> now (a single copy may be worth more than 100,000 US$!). Anyone any idea?
> Another, more shell related question about the Origin: Darwin did not bother
> much about mollusks (he liked cirripeds better - must have been mad), but
> are mollusks mentioned anywhere in the book?
>
> Marien
> www.mollus.nl

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!