Sender:
Conchologists List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:40:44 -0400
From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
From Dall, Transactions of the Wagner Free Institute of Science of ...,
Volume 3, Parts 1-2

Subfamily FUSING.
Genus Melongena Schumacher.

As far as one may judge from the literature and the specimens in the
National collection, the genus Melongena appears suddenly in the American
Tertiary in the guise of a large and well-developed species, M.
crassicornuta Conrad, from the Vicksburg limestone or later Eocene.
Subsequently (Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. Phil. vi. p. 321, 1853) Conrad
referred this to a genus of Purpuridce consisting solely of Fasus minax
Brander, Pseudoliva (Monoccros) armigera Conrad, and Melongena
crassicornuta. This "genus" he called Cornulina (though it was on one
occasion printed Cornulina), and its type was the Murex minax of Brander,
the Fusus minax of Deshayes and others, an Eocene fossil of France (Paris
Basin) and England. The third species, crassicornuta, was doubtfully added
to the list, as the characteristic part of the lip was broken away in the
type and unique specimen figured by Conrad.

> I'm trying to find the original description reference for Melongena
> crassicornuta from the Eocene of Florida.  Couldn't find it in Palmer and
> Brann, 1966, Catalogue of the Paleocene and Eocene Mollusca of the
> southern and eastern United States: Bulletins of American Paleontology, v.
> 48, where I imagine it should be listed.  Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks.
>
> Best,
>
> Chuck
>
> Charles L Powell, II
> Western Earth Surface Processes Team, MS 975
> U. S. Geological Survey
> 345 Middlefield Rd.
> Menlo Park, CA  94025
> (650) 329-4985

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

President
American Malacological Society 2010-2011

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine