AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Sender:
Ag Ed Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 19:20:46 -0400
GA Ag teachers,

        I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class
and I would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested,
please send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student
video sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

        I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to
enhance instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time,
or even in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate
good classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending
an entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a
period of several days.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD:

The Amazing Story of Kudzu  (1996) – This short VHS video tells the
story of how kudzu can to flourish in the South.  Topics covered
include: the history and kudzu in the U.S., advantages and disadvantages
of kudzu, controlling kudzu, and finally, uses for kudzu.

We are currently studying weeds, invasive weeds, and weed control  We
are going to eat some kudzu jelly while we watch this one!

Reviews:

Birmingham Post-Herald, 4/11/96
"Chronicles the history and mythology of the tenacious vine that covers
more than 7 million acres of the South."

Product Description
“There's so much kudzu in the Southeast you might think the legendary
fast-growing vine was a native plant. But it's taken a lot of hard work
since its first U.S. planting in 1876 to help it spread so widely. Now
that it covers over seven million acres, many people consider it a pest.
However, kudzu is used in ways that might surprise you. This program
documents kudzu's amazing history, efforts to control it, and uses for
the vines, leaves, blooms, and roots.”
________________________________________You may purchase a VHS tape of
The Amazing Story of Kudzu at Amazon.com.  It is $ 25.00.  Here is a
link:
http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Story-Kudzu-VHS-Shores/dp/1199105104/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1250982012&sr=8-2.
abitatmedia.org

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl               (Pearl Fryar – SC topiary artist)
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest                (Immigrant labor in Agriculture)
Broken Limbs            (Apples in Washington and Sustainable
agriculture)
City Farmers            (Urban agriculture)
Farming the Seas                (Aquaculture)
Gimme Green             (Turf/Lawn Industry)
Guns, Germs, and Steel  (History of Agriculture)
King Corn                       (Modern corn production and processing)
Our Daily Bread         (Industrial Agriculture)
Ripe for Change                 (Agriculture in California)

Libby Lintel
Horticulture Teacher
Kennesaw Mountain High School
named recipient(s) only.