AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Sender:
Ag Ed Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:29:00 -0400
Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

Harvesting 2 – Modern Marvels (2006) – This DVD is a nice companion to
Modern Marvels – Harvesting.  The Harvesting DVD focuses a bit more on
row crops, while Harvesting 2 is more focused on fruits.  Included are
harvests of: nectarines, pears, corn, cranberries, dates, and mushrooms.

There is also a brief section on the history of fruits and harvesting,
and some emphasis on how mechanization is slowly changing the harvest.
The history of the corn harvest is given good coverage. There is also
some discussion of challenges in finding labor.

Description The History Channel:

In America's orchards and farm fields, the constant effort to supplement
or replace hand labor with mechanization has produced dozens of
efficient and sometimes bizarre harvesting methods. From fruit tree
picking platforms to cranberry beaters and corn pickers, farmers
constantly strive to speed the harvest.
In this succulent episode of MODERN MARVELS®, join an orchard manager
and his ladder crew as they check fruit pressures and barometric
readings. Visit California's largest fruit packing house and try to keep
up with 10-fruit-per-second conveyors. Next, the corn fields of Nebraska
and the cranberry marshes of central Wisconsin beckon. Finally, go
underground to the world's largest mushroom farm where the harvest takes
place in limestone caverns that run some 150 miles.
Bring a basket and your remote, the latest MODERN MARVELS: HARVESTING
DVD is ripe for the picking. Enjoy!

You may purchase a DVD of Harvesting  2 – Modern Marvels  through The
History Channel. It is $ 24..  Here is a link:
http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=69904

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl               (Pearl Fryar – SC topiary artist)
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest                (Immigrant labor in Agriculture)
Broken Limbs            (Apples in Washington and Sustainable
agriculture)
City Farmers            (Urban agriculture)
Farming the Seas                (Aquaculture)
Fertilizer – Modern Marvels
Gimme Green             (Turf/Lawn Industry)
Guns, Germs, and Steel  (History of Agriculture)
Harvesting – Modern Marvels
HOME                    (Global, environmental film)
King Corn                       (Modern corn production and processing)
Modern Marvels – Fertilizers
Mold and Fungus – Modern Marvels
Our Daily Bread         (Industrial Agriculture)
Ripe for Change                 (Agriculture in California)
The Amazing Story of Kudzu
Water – The Drop of Life – Farms and Factories

Libby Lintel
Horticulture Teacher
Kennesaw Mountain High School
named recipient(s) only.