AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Sender:
Ag Ed Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:58:07 -0400
Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

Killer at Large (2008) – The 21 minute educational version of this DVD
identifies obesity are the “terror within” America.  The video looks are
the rise of obesity and America and lists some probable causes,
including stress. The video takes a hard look at USDA school lunch
policies as well as vending machines in schools.  Finally, the film ends
with a ironic twist as the obese Disney character, “Shrek” becomes the
Department of Health and Human Services spokesman to teach healthy
habits to children, including playing outside.  Ultimately, Shrek is
enlisted to advertise products from shakes to fruit rollups to twinkies
to children!

Description Amazon.com

“The documentary takes a broad look at many causes of overweight
including our toxic food environment, the problems with school lunches
and vending machines and the impact food lobbyists have on determining
government policies. It also includes stories about young people who’ve
had gastric bypass surgery or liposuction.

Obesity rates in the United States have skyrocketed over the last twenty
years, with no end in sight provoking former Surgeon General, Richard
Carmona to state that "obesity is a terror within. It is destroying our
society from within and unless we do something about it, the magnitude
of the dilemma will dwarf 9/11 or any other terrorist event that you can
point out..."

As this epidemic of obesity reaches out into even the most remote
corners of the globe, only one thing seems clear, the issue is more
complex than you could ever imagine.”

Purchase Information

There are two different versions available of Killer at Large.  The
full-length version is 182 minutes and probably too long for classroom
use.  The full length version does include the shorter, educational
version.  The educational version is 21 minutes long and is free.
Alternately, you can purchase the educational version, on its own, for
free.

You can purchase the full length version from Amazon.com.  It is $11.49.
 Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/King-Green-Packaging-Michael-Pollan/product-reviews/B0012680D0/ref=pd_cp_d_2_cm_cr_acr_img?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The shorter, educational version is available through Shine Box Media
Productions. It is free to teachers.  Here is a link:
http://www.killeratlarge.com/

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl               (Pearl Fryar – SC topiary artist)
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest                (Immigrant labor in Agriculture)
Broken Limbs            (Apples in Washington and Sustainable
agriculture)
City Farmers            (Urban agriculture)
Farming the Seas                (Aquaculture)
Farming Technology – Modern Marvels
Fertilizer – Modern Marvels
Gimme Green             (Turf/Lawn Industry)
Guns, Germs, and Steel  (History of Agriculture)
Harvesting – Modern Marvels
Harvesting 2 – Modern Marvels
HOME                    (Global, environmental film)
King Corn                       (Modern corn production and processing)
Logging Tech – Modern Marvels
Mold and Fungus – Modern Marvels
Our Daily Bread         (Industrial Agriculture)
Ripe for Change                 (Agriculture in California)
The Amazing Story of Kudzu
Water – The Drop of Life – Farms and Factories

Lib
by Lintel
Horticulture Teacher
Kennesaw Mountain High School