AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Sender:
Ag Ed Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 11:21:18 -0500
Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

The Supermarket (2006) – This video gives an insider’s view of modern
American supermarkets.  The supermarket chain featured in the video is
Safeway, but the video also takes a look at King Kullen, Piggly Wiggly,
and Whole Foods.  Included in The Supermarket is a look at distribution
and transportation networks, warehouse facilities, cold storage and
perishables, and items (such as bread and ice cream) that are
manufactured by supermarkets.  The video also examines the history of
supermarkets – including technologies used in supermarkets and the role
and psychology and atmospherics in consumer purchasing. Finally, the
video takes a look at how Whole Foods has been changing the industry, as
well as examining the rise of street markets and farmers’ markets.

Description from The History Channel

        “A trip to the market is much more than a stroll down the
aisles, as you'll learn in this fascinating DVD.
        Every aspect of your food-shopping experience has been
engineered by experts.  Our basic need and desire for food has made the
supermarket one of the great success stories of modern retailing. Making
customers' visits as efficient and profitable for the store as possible
has led to many technological advancements, such as bar coding and a
scale that recognizes the type of produce placed on it.
Wander the aisles with MODERN MARVELS® to explore the finely-engineered
psychology of the supermarket, including store layout, lighting, music
and aromas that trigger the appetite. Also, learn how organic grocers
are carving out an increasingly large niche as a growing percentage of
the public becomes interested in eating healthier foods.
        Discover just how far the modern market has come from the
mom-and-pop corner store in THE SUPERMARKET.”

You may purchase a DVD of The Supermarket – Modern Marvels  through The
History Channel.  It is $ 24.95.  Here is a link:
http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=69890

- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Man Named Pearl               (Pearl Fryar – SC topiary artist)
A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest                (Immigrant labor in Agriculture)
Broken Limbs            (Apples in Washington and Sustainable
agriculture)
City Farmers            (Urban agriculture)
Farming the Seas                (Aquaculture)
Farming Technology – Modern Marvels
Fertilizer – Modern Marvels
Gimme Green             (Turf/Lawn Industry)
Guns, Germs, and Steel  (History of Agriculture)
Harvesting – Modern Marvels
Harvesting 2 – Modern Marvels
HOME                    (Global, environmental film)
King Corn                       (Modern corn production and processing)
Killer at Large         (Obesity in America)
Logging Tech – Modern Marvels
Mold and Fungus – Modern Marvels
Our Daily Bread         (Industrial Agriculture)
Ripe for Change                 (Agriculture in California)
The Amazing Story of Kudzu
Water – The Drop of Life – Farms and Factories

Libby Lintel
Horticulture Teacher
Kennesaw Mountain High School
named recipient(s) only.