AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Sender:
Ag Ed Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Libby Lintel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:01:12 -0500
Ag teachers,

I try to use a variety of video/DVD materials in my classroom to enhance
instruction.  While I do not use all these videos, all the time, or even
in their entirety – I have found that they usually stimulate good
classroom discussions with my students.  Also, rather than spending an
entire class period on a video, sometimes we watch a video over a period
of several days.

I have created worksheets for all the videos that I use in class and I
would be happy to share them with you.  If you are interested, please
send me an email and I will forward you a copy of the student video
sheet and the teacher answer sheet.

FEATURED VIDEO/DVD OF THE WEEK:

Food, Inc.  (2009) – Food Inc. is a documentary film that examines the
modern industrial food system in the U.S.  The viewer is taken on a
journey that travels from the origins of fast food (and how it has
affected food production), the ubiquity of corn, government subsidies
and the legislative process (Farm Bill), the hazards of the industrial
food system, government regulation, the “dollar menu” and obesity,
immigration, alternative, sustainable agricultural practices, organic
foods, seeds and patents, GMOs, and a close look meat production.  While
the movie is serious – it ends on the somewhat positive note that
ultimately, American consumers vote with their wallets.  Change can come
about, one purchase at a time.

Description the back of the DVD
“Food, Inc. lifts the veil on our nation’s food industry, exposing how
our nation’s food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations
that often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the
American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment.  Food,
Inc. reveals surprising – and often shocking truths – about what we eat,
how it’s produced and who we have become as a nation.”

Reviews from Amazon.com

“For most Americans, the ideal meal is fast, cheap, and tasty. Food,
Inc. examines the costs of putting value and convenience over nutrition
and environmental impact. Director Robert Kenner explores the subject
from all angles, talking to authors, advocates, farmers, and CEOs, like
co-producer Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation), Michael Pollan (The
Omnivore's Dilemma), Gary Hirschberg (Stonyfield Farms), and Barbara
Kowalcyk, who's been lobbying for more rigorous standards since E. coli
claimed the life of her two-year-old son. The filmmaker takes his camera
into slaughterhouses and factory farms where chickens grow too fast to
walk properly, cows eat feed pumped with toxic chemicals, and illegal
immigrants risk life and limb to bring these products to market at an
affordable cost. Though he covers some of the same ground as Super-Size
Me and King Korn, Food Inc. presents a broader picture of the problem,
and if Kenner takes an understandably tough stance on particular
politicians and corporations, he's just as quick to praise those who are
trying to be responsible--even Wal-Mart, which now carries organic
products.”

You may purchase a DVD of Food, Inc. through Amazon.com  It is $ 13.49
Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Food-Inc-Eric-Schlosser/dp/B0027BOL4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1260737214&sr=1-1
- Libby Lintel

Other video worksheets available:

A Different Kind of Grocery Store – 60 Minutes looks at Whole Foods
Market
A Man Named Pearl               (Pearl Fryar – SC topiary artist)
Amazing Story of Kudzu
Agriculture – America’s Most Crucial Industry
American Harvest                (Immigrant labor in Agriculture)
Botany of Desire                (Botanical look at apples, tulips,
cannabis, and potatoes)
Broken Limbs            (Apples in Washington and Sustainable
agriculture)
City Farmers            (Urban agriculture)
Farming the Seas                (Aquaculture)
Farming Technology – Modern Marvels
Fertilizer – Modern Marvels
Gimme Green             (Turf/Lawn Industry)
Guns, Germs, and Steel  (History of Agriculture)
Harvesting – Modern Marvels   (More focus on Row crops)
arvesting 2 – Modern Marvels  (More focus on Fruits and Nuts)
HOME                    (Global, environmental film)
King Corn                       (Modern corn production and processing)
Logging Tech – Modern Marvels
Mold and Fungus – Modern Marvels
Our Daily Bread         (Industrial Agriculture)
Ripe for Change                 (Agriculture in California)
Supermarket – Modern Marvels
Water – The Drop of Life – Farms and Factories

Libby Lintel
Horticulture Teacher
Kennesaw Mountain High School
named recipient(s) only.