AGED-L Archives

Ag Ed Discussion Group

AGED-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Sender:
Ag Ed Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 05:22:25 -0500
8bit
From:
Teri Hamlin <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: John Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>, Jennifer Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Georgia Organics conference draws thousands.
http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-restaurants-food/georgia-organics-conference-draws-323552.html

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

.The number is important since a mule’s work life ends at about 22
years, and Mr. Luke provides much of the muscle on the Mills Farm in
Athens:  From March to November, the gentle animal powers their soil
tiller, water well and most important -- their gristmill.

It’s sunny and warm for February, and about 30 people on a farm tour
-- part of the two-day, 13th annual Georgia Organics Conference and
Expo -- are listening and watching as Tim tells the group how the mill
works. When Mr. Luke walks, he grinds the grist -- creating Red Mule
organic grits, cornmeal, polenta and porridge. The Millses wanted an
alternative power source to conserve energy, and Mr. Luke is it.

“We never intended to do this,” Mills explains with a deep Southern
drawl, “but the good Lord showed me the way to use Mr. Luke, and I
feel like we ought to incorporate what He gave us to help out.”

Red Mule grits have become, like Mr. Luke, a celebrated part of the
organics movement in Georgia; the grits are served at some of
Georgia’s finest restaurants --  like Five & Ten, just down the road
from Mills Farm -- and many of the people on the bus are here to learn
more about the Millses’ story.

It’s a great way to kick off a conference that will last nearly all
weekend, and includes everything from cheese making workshops to the
keynote address given at the “farmers feast” on Saturday to
ceremonially close the festivities. Last year, the address was given
by Michael Pollan, who penned “The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural
History of Four Meals” (The Penguin Press, 2006, $26.95) and has
God-like stature among foodies, farmers and gastronomes.

It seemed a card too difficult to trump, but this year the address was
given by Carlo Petrini, the founder of the Slow Food movement. The
only thing that could surpass that, some members feel, is Michelle
Obama at next year’s conference.

The draw of internationally recognized members of the food community
is a coup for a movement that has grown exponentially in Georgia the
past few years, and it’s a testament to Georgia Organics’ and Slow
Food Atlanta’s tenacious members. The first conference numbered in the
hundreds; this year thousands came from across the country to support
and learn more about organic farming and sustainability.

But the problems of high price and limited availability of organic
products remain an issue, especially in Georgia. Many people would
like to eat local, organically grown foods, but they can’t afford
them.

Petrini believes the issue of waste is key to cost. “In Italy, we
throw away 22,000 tons of food everyday,” he said in an interview
Friday night, through an interpreter. “And yet 1 billion people still
suffer from hunger. When waste is eliminated -- food wastes, energy
wastes, distribution wastes -- the price of food will come down."

Petrini continued: “Agriculture translates to a love of environment; a
love of our history; and a love of spirituality. But we have become
disconnected from our food sources. Integrated industrialized farming
is based on the notion that food is nothing more than a commodity
without understanding its values. It devalues food, and those who eat
food -- which is everyone. We are not only consumers. After all, the
first human act is eating.”

Petrini is quick to point out that many of the most exciting things in
regard to sustainability are happening in the United States -- and in
Georgia. “We must build a new humanism,” he said, “and we must make
food education a vital part of our initiative.”

An education that may start with a mule.

--
Dr. Teri Hamlin
North Region Agriculture Education