From:
Shireen Gonzaga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 19:19:46 -0500
hello, and once again I apologize for this posting...it concerns a narrow
geographical range, and a non-mollusc critter. But to give it some relevance
to conch-l, I'll say that I've collected some marvelous slipper shells
and mussels off the carapaces of horseshoe crabs. :-)

Anyhow, here's the story: if you live in the Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey,
or nearby, and enjoy marine sciences, you may be interested in an upcoming
horseshoe crab census. The Delaware Bay has the highest concentration of
horseshoe crabs in the world. Each year, during the spawning period in May
and June, a census is done to monitor population trends. (If you're a birder
too, you'll also get to view the spectacular migration of shorebirds.) This
year, the census will occur on Saturdays, MAY 23 and JUNE 6. If you're even
remotely interested in helping out, but would like to know more about it
first, please contact me. I'll be happy to tell you more about the census,
and what kind of help we'll be needing, and if you decide to volunteer,
I'll put you in contact with the coordinators. Or if you live far far away,
and are just dying to know more, I'd be delighted to tell you about it.

cheers,
        Shireen
Shireen Gonzaga, Data Analyst, WFPC2 group, Space Telescope Science Institute
3700 San Martin Dr., Baltimore, MD 21218, USA.
office tel.#: 410-338-4412, e-mail: [log in to unmask]