From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 09:50:19 -0400
Andy,
Out collecting Viviparus yesterday.  Sorry to hear all this, but it is all
too familiar.  Way too familiar!  A agree that we should use specimens we
collect ourselves, but as you know this is not always possible.  We must
retain some degree of trust in older material.  I must say that Harry Lee
brought up a good point a few months ago over the phone.  He said that the
study of taxonomy does not just include the specimens, but a clear
understanding of the collectors and authors of the time, their methods, the
quality of the optics in their microscopes . .  a whole bunch of stuff to
deduce what was meant in a description or discussion.  So just because a
label doesn't match . . . the old stuff may be able to be teased into the
proper perspective with appropriate historical knowledge.  One of my
earlier points comes to mind now.  When faced with vast amounts of material
and deadlines this luxury may fall by the wayside.

Busy.  Off to the races.....

Kurt