From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:57:42 -0800
Dear listers,

The Bahamian Seashells book is forcing me into the sweet misery of revising
some of my Caribbean finds.

Looking at the discussion of Argopecten gibbus and nucleus, the differences
given are not the differences in Abbott (1974).

So, I'm looking at a fresh-dead pair (height: 40mm) from the beach at Cape
Lookout, one that I assumed had to be A. gibbus, 'cause Tucker said nucleus
is not found north of south Florida. Yet the concentric threads are widely
spaced and colors muted, unlike the scallop-dump gibbus from the Gulf.

Can some of the pecten enthusiasts clarify? I can try to send a scan
privately if someone wants.

Thanks,
David Kirsh
Durham, NC