From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 14:24:39 +1200
I am alarmed to hear (from an impeccable source) that he had supplied
Guido Poppe witth specimens he had collected himself. He has since
found that the data being supplied by Poppe on sale of these
specimens is incorrect.

He contacted Poppe to complain about this. Poppe's reply was that he
did not have time (ie couldn't be bothered) to correct the data!

I know that at least SOME Russian suppliers are supplying FALSIFIED
data. A friend in Slovenia sent me some "abyssal"  New Zealand shells
he'd bought, collected by a Russian trawler and supplied to him by a
reputableperson. The depth data did not at all tie with marine
charts, which showed twice the depth (5000m-odd) in the area, and the
species involved do not come anywhere near the claimed depth of
2100m. A quick e-mail to Bruce Marshall drew the reply that "this is
a complete fabrication".

Beware of Russian-derived specimens.