From:
Gladys Fehling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:41:48 -0400
To:[log in to unmask]
From: Gladys Fehling [log in to unmask]

I don't collect chitons, so I don't really know what you are trying to
preserve but when I lived in the Bahamas in the 1970-80's my husband and I
saved a number of the animals from the sea, mostly various types of
starfish.  Along the way I preserved a few chitons.  What my husband and I
used for preserving was 1 part formaldehyde to 9 parts water.  We used a
syringe to inject this into whatever we were preserving.  I just looked at
the chitons we did and they are still dry without deteriorating.  You will
need to tie them down flat before using the formaldehyde.  Freezing might be
ok.  We didn't have that luxury where we were.  This drys the animal as well
as the rest of the chiton so that all parts are preserved.
Gladys Fehling