From:
"Walker, Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:37:00 KDT
They are called a sand collar and are made by Moon Snails. The eggs are
molded by the shell curvature as the eggs are cemented with sand. The
small eggs are in the central jelly area, covered by both sides with
sand. Here in Southeast Alaska the snails use the available sand and are
different color according to the color of that particular beach. Each
species has its own characteristic color shape.