Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:12:42 -0400
Lovell, M. S. 1884 (2nd ed.). The Edible Mollusca of Great Britain and Ireland with Recipies for cooking them. Available from http://gallica.bnf.fr/

The only entry for slugs in the index to Lovell is to the claim that "Pliny also recommends [for headache] a plaster of slugs, cut up and pounded, and applied to the forehead." (p. 219)

Dr. Joe Carter reports that one of the large gastrochaenids produces an unpleasantly peppery taste; I think Gray also reported this.  Joe was trying to hold a specimen in his mouth while using both hands and was not eating it.

William Buckland, a noted early paleontologist, was also famous for bringing new meaning to the word omnivore.  He probably tried slugs, but I do not know where one would find out for sure.

Evidently there is something wrong with some address of a purported Conch-L subscriber, purportedly at timmy.inbox.lv, as I also received such an error message.  I do not know why the message goes to the person sending the mail rather than to the list manager.  I did get a scam message from an address like that recently, so perhaps it represents a fradulent subscription attempt that was not fully successful.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics