From:
Alex Menez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:39:57 +0200
Art

It is indeed real, and Darwin's last book. Darwin published several papers
on mould in 1838 and 1840 and the subject, in relation to earthworms, was a
lifelong interest of his and one in which he undertook many experiments (as
Darwin did with many of his interests). The stone (the 'wormstone') he used
for investigating the sinking of the surface layers as a result of earthworm
action is still at Down House in Kent. The book sold faster than Origin and
sold 6000 in the first year. According to Freeman (1977, Darwin:
Bibliographical Handlist, Chatham: Dawson & Archon) the first edition (of
which I am the proud owner of one!) went to press on May 1, 1881 and was
published October 10. The work appeared in America in 1882 (in the USA form
of the International Scientific Series). The first edition was published in
London by John Murray and the full title is 'The formation of vegetable
mould, through the action of worms, with observations on their habits'.

As usual in Darwin's works, there are ideas which he puts forward which more
than 100 years later are still completely valid and form parts of many areas
in natural sciences (see also parts of Origin relating to distributions
etc.) which are still applicable. I love this passage (from the conclusion):
'The plough is one of the most ancient and most valuable of man's
inventions; but long before he existed the land was in fact regularly
ploughed, and still continues to be thus ploughed by earth-worms. It may be
doubted whether there are many other animals which have played so important
a part in the history of the world, as have these lowly organised
creatures.'

If you read Darwin's works (including successive editions of Origin) you can
understand how his thoughts on some particular areas changed and developed
(I was going to say evolved, but that would be too corny!). His last book
seems very appropriate when viewed in the context of other works, it brings
everything  full circle back to worms (you'll understand this when you look
at the famous cartoon published by Punch), a good start, and end, to the
works of the most influential natural historian of all time.

Hope this helps

Alex