From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:58:43 -0600
True only up to a point, Art. When Mary Ann moved to San Francisco, her
spike was temporarily renamed Ouida, but the Society for the Preservation of
Spike Names of the Goddess of Liberty raised such a furor that the original
name was reinstated. According to the late William Beebe, the names, which
are engraved in large letters on the back side of each spike, may be
conveniently viewed from the guardrail around the torch, but he recommends
against doing this during the bird migration season since bird wings can
hurt when forcefully applied to the face.

The Latin word spica refers to an ear (spike) of grain, a spear, or indeed
any pointed object. The diminutive is spicula, a spicule or little spike.
Latin and Greek words meaning 'point' typically derive from words originally
meaning 'to pierce' or 'to prick' and are related to words meaning 'to
sting', 'sharp, sour, keen-witted'. Hence the word 'pungent' is related to
'point'. Another association is with words meaning 'top' or 'tip'. Even the
word 'center' is derived from a Latin word, 'centrum', whose meaning slid
through a series of segues: 'prickle > point > midpoint'. Anyone who expects
etymology to be precise is apt to be disappointed, so to speak.

Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Writing on his own time