From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:05:14 -0600
Hi Art,

I think no one's answered this one because nobody has a clue! My mind was
boggled too, but having had time to sleep on it -- about two dozen times --
I would guess that the answer is some species of pteropod -- pelagic
gastropods whose shells cover many square kilometers of the deepsea floor.

To answer a previous "Question Man" question, the moth with the cross-shaped
pattern on its back may be Hapola clymene. The cross only shows as such with
the wings tucked together, but in photos made from museum collections, the
wings are generally spread out. I didn't realize how unnatural this looks
till I started photographing live butterflies. (For butterfly photography,
see http://www.images.on.ca/Focus/focuson2.htm

Cheers,
Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama