From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 00:41:55 -0600
Hi David,

That could be so, there must sure be some mechanism at
work to cause the potency of the venom to vary.  Very
interesting information about the fish toxins, also.  I did
witness several envenomations of Conus textile by others
of the same species, however, and none of them died.  It
always had an effect one them, by slowing them or making
them inactive for a period of hours, but they never failed
to recover.  I witnessed a similar situation when a Conus
textile envenomated a smaller Conus canonicus in the top
of the foot.  The C. canonicus definitely showed effects
from having been envenomated, but within several hours
appeared to have recovered, apparently with no lasting
effects.  Every other species that was envenomated by
Conus textile in my aquarium died.

Cheers,

Don