From:
Doug Stemke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:07:58 -0400
After reading through the archives here at CONCH-L there were several
locations noted as "no-collect" islands in the Caribbean.  The ABC Islands
and  Eastern Honduras I believe were two such places noted.  However the
current issue of American Conchologist has a story about a fairly large
group collecting in Honduras (even finding a Conus granulatus!).  Also I
recently read an article about collecting in Aruba on-line, which I though
also had a total ban.

So now I'm confused.  "Ban" to me implies totally no collecting at all,
anywhere, dead or alive material or am I "missing the boat" on this?  Are
some of those locations listed as haveing restrictions ok provided one only
picks up dead shells?  Is it possible to obtain permits for some non-food,
non-CITES species or empty shells? I assume the regulations are different
for different Carribbean nations.  As one who would like to collect mostly
empty shells it would be nice to have some clarify on this issue.