From:
Toni Stanzione <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 13:48:05 +0000
I have not read Macht, D.I., 1922. A Pharmacological note on Psalm 58 9.
Journal of the American Oriental Society, 42: 280-285. But from my own reading this is what I have found. It might be of interest to some.
 SNAIL
[Heb., shab·belul′].

Any of a variety of slow-moving mollusks, generally distinguished by their spiral or conical shells into which they can withdraw for protection. Numerous varieties of snails have been encountered in Palestine, but on account of the dry climate, there are few slugs, that is, snails having no visible shell. Both slugs and snails secrete a slimy substance that protects them from abrasive injury as they crawl along. Many believe that the snail’s slimy trail is alluded to by the phrase “a snail melting away.” (Ps 58:8) Another suggestion is that the reference is to the drying up of the snail in its shell when exposed for some time to the sun.

I think the basic belief among the ancient people was that the wicked could not overthrow the spiritual prosperity of those who fear God. The wicked cannot truly harm the righteous. And that the wicked will ‘melt away,’ yes, melt like a snail that leaves a slimy trail. They will melt like a snail, which, as it moves, “dissolves into slime.” (Ps. 58:8, RS; Mo) Just as a snail is halted by the salt sprinkled about its haunts, what can the slimy wicked do against the fearers of God who are like the “salt of the earth”? Nothing, only melt away in an inglorious end.

Thanks TONI