From:
Olivier Caro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:07:52 +0200
Dear List

What are the taxonomical values of Stramonita haemastoma floridana, S. h.
canaliculata, and S. h. consul?

1st: could canaliculata be, in fine, considered as a form of floridana ?
I have some canaliculatas from Brasil, while this subspecies is said to
range from Florida to Texas, and not to Rio Grande do Norte.
And what is a canaliculata ? Pictures vary a lot, as for floridana.

2nd: could consul be considered as a knobby form of S. haemastoma floridana
?
But I have consuls from Brasil and Corsica, & they are quite identical.

So: what are the significant differences between floridana and mediterranean
haemastoma ?
Nota bene that if you looked at west african haemastomas, you could say that
S. h. consul are "<em>"dwarf"</em>", compared with average rockshells from
Senegal, which are hyperconsuls, ultraconsuls, anabolized megaconsuls... And
you could feel the need to create a new taxon, only for these african
giants.

Thus, I suppose things are less complicated. So, how many valuable taxa, for
western & eastern Atlantic specimens? Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Olivier Caro
Rennes, France