From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 02:08:49 +1000
John and others,

Per concerns about ocean acidification: The reefs have survived other threats:
recall how we HAD to kill as many Acathaster (Crown-of-thorns starfish) as
possible "to save the reefs?" That wasn't the solution at all since they weren't
the problem. The problem was that some people THOUGHT that these echinoderms
WOULD destroy the reefs so the perceived problem required action. In the end, it
was merely as natural variation taken out of context. When ignorance takes
action, all of nature suffers. (I recall a "bloom" of Fantail filefish in the
late 1980s when they were EVERYWHERE and wanted to eat EVERYTHING, including my
ears, skin, snorkel,... I could see tens of thousands below me while snorkelling
in 30 feet of water. In the end, all but a few were food for other things.)

Carbon dioxide is not the bug-a-boo it is made to seem. As a 'greenhouse gas,'
it is a non-starter. Have a look at the science of carbon dioxide as a
"transporter" of surface heat to the upper atmosphere -
http://www.biocab.org/Heat_Stored.html
The bottom line there is that NO atmospheric gas can even come close to water
vapor for heat transfer but do you hear the politcos calling for control of
water vapor? No, because even they know it would be plain to all that it was a
crazy idea. "We need to put pool covers on the oceans to control water vapor,
Citizens!"

As pointed out in the following reply to an article on CO2 increase, things
change; it has been higher and lower, temperature has been colder and warmer,...
and we humans had nothing to do with it.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119880525309554481.html?mod=djemITP

Let's keep an eye on things, yes. However, it's hard to be objective when you're
in a panic. That's a fundamental rule taught in SCUBA diving and it goes for
lots of other situations, too. Are humans to blame for ALL global warming? 50%
of it? 25% of it? Where's the evidence that WE are driving it?

Happy shelling!

Bob Dayle

http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1<http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1>