From:
Leslie Crnkovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:45:49 -0600
Back in the 80's when I was so very green in shelling,
I too had the privilege of Archie taking me Liging.

Archie was great at mentoring novice's such as myself.
He taught me what a West-Indian Hardwood Hammock was and how to spot the
Hammocks.
He showing me where to find Ligs, how to spot Ligs in the trees, and about
their life cycle.

I guess the most interesting thing I learned was about the mortality after
laying eggs,
Whereas many of the females die...
then a few months later you can simply glean their empty shells from the
hammock floor.
They are not usually large or prime specimens, but nothing to kill or clean.

After 1988 Fort Myers COA, I took Dr. Rios to Miami.
While there I found a young Lig and kept it as a pet for a year or so here
in Houston.
Lost him for about 6 months, ...found him at the top of a wall in the
corner.
Still have the little shell in my collection as a fond memory.

Leslie