From:
José Leal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 2010 03:36:28 -0500
Hi Doug,

Adventures in Paradise out of Sanibel/Fort Myers and others do
day-long shelling tours to the Islands of North Captiva and Cayo
Costa. The Shell Museum is launching a program with Adventures in
Paradise whereby expert and well-trained Museum docents lead the
trips, interpret the local conditions, identify the shells, etc. A
portion of the income generated reverts to the Shell Museum.

There is no oil on the beaches of SW Florida!! And any of the beaches
on Sanibel are good, but traditional spots are the Lighthouse on the
East end of the island, Gulf Park, Bowman's Beach, and, of course,
Blind Pass, the boundary between Sanibel and Captiva.

Good Luck with the visit and make sure you stop at the Shell Museum!

José

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Doug Stemke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi All.
>
>   We will be doing a Sanibel trip before Christmas.  I was wondering if
> there are any really good shelling boat tours that anyone would recommend.
> Also I was wondering if the oil spill in the Gulf has had any evident
> effects on the shelling as far south as Sanibel.
>
> It's been a few years for us, so I'm all ears if you have any recommended
> shelling spots (feel free to email me directly if you don't want the spots
> posted publicly).  I hope to do some mollusk filming this year (especially
> live material) on the trip and let my daughter do most of the collecting
> (mind you if a Juno comes my way...)
>
> Your recommendations are greatly appreciated!
>
> Doug and family.

> click leave the list.

José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum