From:
"David N. Posnett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2011 10:57:47 -0400
Great!  Are the patterns usually the same?  E.g. center white rib,
+4, -4, etc.  I have 3 specimens and they each have this pattern.
BTW where is your favorite scallop beach?  You are on Long Island,
right?
David

I can send you a picture...

>HI David,
>
>While a picture is always worth 1000 words your shell is  certainly
>one of the better extreme colorful variations of irradians irradinas.
>Using your descriptive method, I checked my collection and noted
>specimens with anywhere from 1 to 12 white ribs , in the latter  the
>white ribs are continguous, as you note, forming white patches so that
>the shell looks more light than dark. If you can find enough specimens
>there will often be a few of the white rayed variety. Last year in
>December three of us went to our favorite scallop beach, where
>thousands of individuals were washed ashore. I would estimate that
>maybe one out of every 100 had white rays? its hard to put a number on
>it since we have "trained" ourselves to focus on  the most unusual
>color or pattern variations.
>
>Along with the pattern you describe, we try for shells that are solid
>white on both valves, or even better, solid yellow (the "lemon scallop
>of the north").
>
>Steve
>

>On 10/23/11, David N. Posnett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>  I read there were about 350 species of scallops.  I have a spotted a
>>  variety that seems rare on our Long Island, NY, beaches.  It has 21
>>  ribs. While most of the shell is brown, the center rib is entirely
>>  white, -4 and +4 from the center are also white in the distal
>>  portion, and so are ribs -7,-8,-9 and +7,+8,+9.  Can anyone identify
>>  this species?  Thanks.
>>
>>  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  [log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs
>>  To leave this list, click on the following web link:
>>  http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1
>>  Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and
>>  click leave the list.
>>  ----------------------------------------------------------------------

>[log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs
>To leave this list, click on the following web link:
>http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1
>Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and
>click leave the list.

David N. Posnett, MD
Prof. of Medicine
Weill Medical College of Cornell Univ.