From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2011 22:51:15 -0400
I looked again and really cant generalize. As I noted earlier, I have
shells with 1-12 white ribs, in some there are contiguous white ribs,
but the distribution varies,  and in some the colored ribs are single
ribs...spread out in a rayed network ....the distribution of the
single rib  rays also varies, but some from the same locality do look
similar. That may be a local phenomenon.

the beach I referred to is Cedar Beach County Park, in Southold , on
the way to Orient (Cornell has a marine lab there, the scallop beach
is just beyond)

the big shells pictured by Marlo are from along Route 25  seawall in
East Marion, on the way there too.

other good scallop sites are Orient Beach State Park, the beach by the
Orient Point Ferry, and the beach by the Shelter Island Ferry Slip. I
am sure many other sites are productive this time of the year, those
are the ones we visit most.

In recent years, I have been finding live scallops regularly on the
bay side of Jones Beach State Park, which was unheard of in the era of
the brown tides. There were no rayed specimens if I recall correctly
at that location.

The local authority on bay scallops is Steve Tettlebach at SUNY, I may
have the spelling wrong, but you may find some good information in his
publications.

The genetics are complex...you had the original Peconic Bay
populations, then the brown tide in the 1980s  took them out and stock
from Massachusetts was supposedly brought in to help restore local
populaitons, meanwhile those massachusetts stocks are being all messed
around genetically by interbreeding with the genetically engineered
pretty variants pictured on Marlo's website from Fairhaven. Those are
not natural colors!!

For those of you who peruse the www.shellauction.net, these are now
showing up from the chinese dealers as well, from that part of the
world, where I assume they are being farmed?.  What a mess
genetically.