From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:40:01 -0400
Vicky,

If you must clean off the deposits, you might try soaking it in vinegar
for a period of time and then trying to brush off the deposits. Limestone
is calcium carbonate and it should be dissolved by vinegar (dilute acetic
acid). Keep in mind that shells are also made of calcium carbonate and
will dissolve the shell if left in there for too long.

You can also try an ultrasound bath, one used to clean jewelry, and this
may lossen the deposits.

Other will suggest other methods as well!

> Hi Everyone,
> I have a deer cowrie I found dead. I was hoping I could salvage it. Does
anyone know if there is a way to dissolve the fine limestone deposits
that
> accumulate on a dead shell? It is a very thin layer. Thanks!
>

> Vicky Wall
> Mayodan, NC (105 degrees today)

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine