From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2012 17:39:01 -0500
One difficulty, however, is that the modern diversity of arcids is
still not thoroughly sampled for genetic or detailed anatomical and
shell data.  Many of the existing genetic studies use different genes,
making comparisons difficult, and some of the popular genes such as
cox1, aka COI, don't generally give good resolution for divergences as
old as some of the splits within Arcoida.  Thus, there may be
additional names out there, currently treated as synonyms, that would
be a more appropriate name for candida.

However, Barbatia as used in the 1969 Treatise on Invertebrate
Paleontology and followed by Abbott (1974), etc. is based pretty much
on "has a byssal gape and isn't Arca".  That's not very restrictive,
and it shouldn't be surprising if more then one group of ark shells
fits that description.

--
Dr. David Campbell
Visiting Professor