From:
Dale Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:59:24 -0400
Can anyone tell me whether these two names are synonyms or if they are different snails?

I have some shells from Rangel, Pinar del Rio, Cuba. some are light, some grayish, but otherwise appear to be the same, so I am guessing that they are the same species.

In Abbott's Compendium of Land Snails the shells are identified as Gongylostoma colorata, Arango, 1882. While trying to identify other Urocopts I found what appears to the the same shell on Femorale identified as Urocoptis sauvelleana, Gundlach, 1856.

Checking other sites for photos, I'm not finding them under Gongylostoma, and sites such as Worldwide... link back to the Femoral site for pictures of U. sauvelleana.

If the snails are not the same, could someone send me a copy of the descriptions of them? And if they are synonymous, am I correct to use Gongylostoma as the current classification?

Thanks,

Dale Snyder
Mesa, Arizona