From:
Tom Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2013 01:09:15 -0400
CONCH-Lers,

What is the latest on the correct name for the Florida/Western Atlantic left-handed Chamidae known as Chama radians Lamarck, 1819?

According to WoRMS ( http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=420818 ), C. radians has been synonymized and the correct name is Pseudochama cristella (Lamarck, 1819).

According to H. Lee (Marine Shells of Northeast Florida, 2009), he lists it as Chama radians, Lamarck, 1819 and "formerly in Pseudochama".

In Mikkelsen and Bieler (Seashells of South Florida - Bivalves, 2008), they list it as Chama radians Lamarck, 1819, also listing "formerly in Pseudochama".

At www.conchology.be, they list Pseudochama radians Lamarck 1819 (the left-handed C. radians I know) as from Florida and Canary Islands, and Pseudochama cristella Lamarck, 1819 as a right-handed Chamidae from South Africa.

Although the Pseudochama genus was easy to remember (for predominantly left-handed chama), I thought the Pseudochama genus was rejected/unaccepted as a name. If it is still accepted (or recently re-accepted), then I guess I am behind the times.

Knowing that not everyone agrees with every accepted name, what is the accepted name by the reigning majority for this (the left-handed Florida) species?
Chama radians?
Pseudochama radians?
Pseudochama cristella?

Thanks for any knowledge or elucidation on this issue.
Tom Ball