From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2013 22:01:20 -0400
Chuck,

I have seen Conomurex luhuanus from the western Pacific - Japan, PI, and I
believe Australia. I should be able to get references for you when I visit
the Carnegie Museum tomorrow.

> I'm trying to run down some information on the genus *Conomurex*.
>  Particularly occurrences of the various species.  Most appear to occur
> the
> eastern Mediterranian, Red Sea, Persian Gulf region, but I can't find any
> information on the where *C. luhuanus* is found.  Any information and
> references is appreciated.
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I've found a poorly preserved middle Miocene
> specimen from southern California that resembles the genus *Conomurex*.
>  I'm not saying that's what it is - the specimens isn't well enough
> preserved to say that, but I am making the comparison and so what to know
> the distribution of the genus.  But some really interesting and somewhat
> bizarre specimens/species coming out of the middle Miocene of southern
> California.  Stay turned.
>
> Thanks for everyones help.
>
> Best,
>
> Chuck
>
> --
> Charles L. Powell, II
> U.S. Geological Survey, MS 975
> 345 Middlefield Road
> Menlo Park, CA  94025
>
> 1-650-329-4985
> https://profile.usgs.gov/cpowell/

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine