From:
Fred Schueler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2014 20:30:18 -0500
On 1/4/2014 8:15 PM, Ed and Susan wrote:
> There is really no set way of defining the term “subfossil”.

> There is no real definition, but I might stick my neck out and say that
> “subfossil” seashells would have to be at least a thousand years old
> (rather than ten years or a few hundred years.)

* "fossil" originally means "dug up" so the term references how the
specimen was found, not necessarily its condition or age. Any remains
that have been buried in substrate are fossils in terms of the original
definition. One way of defining the difference between "proper fossil"
and "subfossil" would be the state of the substrate - if it's still not
different from surface or currently-reworked soil/sediment, then
subfossil, if modified by mineralization/compression, then a proper fossil.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
The 2014 Bishops Mills Calendar Festival:
Fred:
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/2013/12/the-fred-calendar-for-2014.html
- data input
Aleta: http://www.lulu.com/content/14204755 - paintings
Jennifer:
http://www.zazzle.com/free_range_wall_calendar-158319768903951661  -
free ranging livestock
Rory: [watch this space for the revolutionary calendar]