From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 09:14:28 -0500
Looks like I exaggerated a tiny bit - it is 47.5 mm.  I'll take some
pictures, but first I have to recharge the camera battery...
I'm pretty well convinced it is P. corneus. It is thinner than my Marisa.
Purchased from a land shell dealer in 1989 for $2.00: "Planorbis sp.
on mud flats Aarschot, Belgium."

John

At 07:28 PM 1/06/14, you wrote:
>Hmm... John, would you mind measuring the shell? You said the shell was
>about 2 inches, which would make it about 50 mm. I have never heard of a
>Planorbarius corneus shell that exceeded 35 mm in diameter.
>
>35 mm is actually really huge for P. corneus, whereas 50 mm is a very common
>size for a Marisa cornuarietis.
>
>It also might help you a bit to put Planorbarius corneus into Google and
>look at Google images, and then put Marisa cornuarietis into Google and look
>at those images.
>
>Not all Marisa cornuarietis shells are brightly striped in yellow and
>reddish brown, but none are the dull, plain and rather dingy pale tan to
>mid-brown of regular (non-albino) Planorbarius corneus shells. Marisa is
>also a stronger shell than Planorbarius and the growth lines are less
>pronounced.
>
>Marisa cornuarietis is a common shell in general collections -- not so
>Planorbarius corneus, unless someone who lived in "Belgium" actually
>specialized in collecting local non-marine shells.
>
>Susan J. Hewitt
>NYC
>

>On 1/6/14 6:00 PM, "John Wolff" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > It does look
> > like
> >
> http://www.animalbase.uni-goettingen.de/zooweb/servlet/AnimalBase/home/picture
> > ?id=6937
> > but what threw me was the size and faint stripes along the edge of
> > early part of the body whorl. I now see very faint stripes in that image
> > I was just about to call it Marisa but now will stick to P. corneus.
> > Thanks Harry.  Is this fun, or what?
> >
> > John
> >
> > At 05:30 PM 1/06/14, you wrote:
> >> Well, does your shell look like the figures at
> >>
> <http://www.animalbase.uni-goettingen.de/zooweb/servlet/AnimalBase/home/speci>>
> es?id=1195
> >>
> >> Maybe it looks more like
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marisa_cornuarietis>?