From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2014 08:41:29 -0500
Hi Carole, when i go to Maryland for work, or to visit my daughter, I
always try to head to Wachapreague, Virginia on the Delmarva
Peninsula. there is a seafood processing plant there by the water,
they handle oysters and fish,  and there are traps stacked up also
from crabbing. All over the ground at this spot i find species such as
Prunum roscidum, Ilyanassa obsoleta, Nassarius vibex, and Anachis
avara, plus  on this last trip larger species like Stramonita
canaliculata, which has been reported in the Cheseapeake since the
1950s. The small shells  are all over the ramp and loading and working
 and trap storage areas so i assume they fall out of the traps or get
washed out when the traps are moved,  cleaned and stacked (if they are
cleaned at all. I get them by the dozens, which appears to be an
unnatural density.

I have also found a few of the giant form of Urosalpinx cinerea
"follyensis" there.

A similar situation at that spot is right next door at the Virginia
Institute of Marine Sciences as well.

This is a general phenomenon when you find places like that anywhere,
which i have been lucky to do in many locations.

Steve