From:
Fabio Moretzsohn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2014 14:23:51 -0500
The Houston Museum of Natural Science has one of the best shell
exhibits of worldwide and Texas shells that I have seen. Other museums
with good shell displays include the Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum that
you already mentioned, and the Brazosport Museum of Natural Science,
in Clute, Texas, also has a nice display and collection of worldwide,
and especially Texas shells. It has been said that it has the largest
number of shells on display, about 14,000+ shells, according to the
site:
http://bcfas.org/museum2014/mildred-tate-hall-of-malacology/

Kevin Cummings and colleagues have compiled a list of Systematic
Research Collections (of mollusks) from around the world. It lists
many collections, a short description of each collection, curator and
collections manager contact information, etc. It can be found here:
http://wwx.inhs.illinois.edu/collections/mollusk/links/list

A quick collection about the (Bernice Pauahi) Bishop Museum: it is in
Honolulu, Hawaii, not Hilo. Maybe Richard was thinking of the Lyman
House, in Hilo, which does have a nice display of seashells. Bishop
Museum also has a nice exhibit of shells, and one of the largest
collections of mollusks in the world (although it is not normally
accessible to the public).

Best,
Fabio M.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Vicky Wall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The Museum of Coastal Carolina, in Ocean Isle Beach, NC has a collection of
> NC mollusks.

Fabio Moretzsohn, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Scientist
Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
6300 Ocean Drive, Unit 5869, Corpus Christi, TX 78412-5869
Phone: (361) 825-3230; Fax: (361) 825-2050
mollusca [at] gmail.com
Managing Editor, American Malacological Bulletin
Please consider the environment before printing this email.  Think Green!