From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2015 20:59:20 -0500
Regarding both species....

M. mercenaria notata are also the staple of the many aquaculture
operations in the Delmarva Peninsula, in the shell piles down there
the notata look like they are at least half of more of the shells,
though when the shells get really large it is my impression that the
markings fade out altogether or are nearly  imperceptible as just a
slightly darker background shade. Shells sold in grocery stores here
in NY are often imported/tagged from chincoteague and include many
notata. Of the many encountered  "wild"  quahogs while shelling
locally, notata are still pretty uncommon and to find a decent sized
well-marked notata  is always a nice find.

Re irradians, in the last few years we  have found a couple on eastern
long island that approach what I call "pastel" or neon- orange in
color.   They- and other colorful variants-  even have the quite thin,
blistered  shells that seem to be  trademarks of the aquacultured
ones. SInce the crash of the local bay scallops in the 1970s
Massachusetts stocks have been brought in (at least initially after
the crash) and we amateur collectors wonder if/ how much the patterns
and colors we see now could represent an exchange of genetic material
between the wild and raised populations, and between MA and NY. Some
of todays colors and patterns look different than those I remember or
have seen  from "those 70s shells" and I have shells from S.
Massachusetts (Nantucket, I thnk)  that aren't too far off in color
and  that I have been told are a mix of the wild and aquacultured MA
shells.

As usual, manipulation and movement  of  organisms by man confuses
the situation.