From:
Dennis Sargent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2015 18:36:02 -0500
Dear Cecil,

I had some of the same questions. Apparently both Priene scabrum and rude share the same distribution and they are simply forms of the same species. Since scabrum is the earlier taxon it takes precedence.
This is similar to the situation with Strombus alatus where some specimens have spines on the shoulder of the outer whorl and others are smooth.
On my trip to New Zealand last week, I spent a day with Alan Beu and asked his opinion concerning the synonomy of Ranellid specimens in WoRMS. He mentioned that he was an advisor to WoRMS on this family.
He is the recognized expert as far as I am concerned. Since there are only a few Rannelid collectors around, you may call me at (352) 516-7821 if you wish to compare notes.

Best wishes,

Dennis Sargent