Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2015 16:57:59 -0400
Thanks, Vicki, for the hint about pine oil. I'll get some for my next trip to San Carlos to try on the murex shells I always bring back. I soak them for weeks and rinse them several times and STILL they stink.

---- vwall3 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Ellen, I tell my husband the same thing...that I'd love to be on Survivor for the shells...and hopefully they would keep me awhile as long as I could provide food for the group...and even if I got voted off, the producers keep you there the full 30 days! I could still collect shells and have a great time☺
As for cleaning your carrier....friends told me about 100% pine oil. I purchased a gallon at a custodian supply store. It's pricey, about $30, but lasts a long time. I have several carriers, hawk wing conchs, and a flame helmet soaking now. Everett Long has used it for years. He says it dissolves the meat and he keeps the bucket and just keeps adding more shells. You will want to try to get out the thin opercs first as they could dissolve too. It takes a few days for small shells...longer for larger ones. When I get home it will have been 1 week and then I'll try to flush them out. They'll smell nice too☺