Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 2015 14:01:13 -0500
Paul,

Several folks used the specific epitath solidulus.

Pecten solidulus Reeve is now recognized as Argopecten ventricosus
(Sowerby, II, 1842). Note that P. circularis (Sow, II. 1835) has also been
synonymized with A. ventricosus. It is considered a senior synonym.

Pecten solidulus Monterosato, 1889 and Pecten solidulus Nordsieck, 1969
are synonymized under Aequipecten commutatus (Monterosato, 1875).

Hope that this helps.

> Greetings fellow shell fanatics,
>     I have a taxonomic question/concern for the scallop gurus in the
> group.  I figured that the awesome shell scholars on Conch-L could set me
> straight...;o)
> I recently acquired two lovely Pectens for my collection that came labeled
> as: Argopecten solidulus (Reeve, 1853), they came from fishermen in gill
> nets at 45 - 60 meters depth, off Albufeira, South Portugal, Aug.,
> 2014.  When I checked WORMS, it stated that this species is a synonym for
> Argopecten ventricosus (Sowerby II, 1842).
>    I was a bit surprised to see that a European/Mediterranean species
> would
> be synonymized with a species from Tropical West America.  Is this a case
> perhaps of the species possibly being introduced from one area to the
> other for commercial purposes?
>    The shells called solidulus from the Med don't look exactly like the
> Tropical West America specimens of ventricosus to me, if indeed they are
> the same species, but I suppose that is not unusual in the modern world,
> either.
>     Has anyone noticed this before?  I just thought I would pose this to
> the list to verify that I was labeling my new shells correctly.
>
> Thanks and happy shelling, Paul J

> click leave the list.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine