From:
Marien Faber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2016 14:26:56 +0000
my point is that salt crystals are most harmful when trapped in small cavities. These crystals will not easily become dissolved and some shaking, to get the water in places were salt can be trapped, e.g. by tiny air bubbles (remember we're talking beached shells) does help. And of course shaking, also means bringing more water in contact with the salts, speeding up the process.
What we need here, obviously, is a comparative experiment. Meanwhile I have James Bond on my side!

Marien