From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:40:57 +1100
Dear All,

Someone I spoke to had a very interesting theory. He said that in the lab
he worked, they bought computers with an operating system, and software,
and never upgraded either for the life of the computer. That means that
when you first start to use the computer, you may have a few problems, but
once these are ironed out, the system should be very stable until you buy a
new computer.

I can second that, with my previous computer having been changed from
Windows NT to 95, to NT fileserver and back to NT (that's what you get when
you marry a computer programmer) Now I have my own computer with 98, it had
a few problems at the start, but all is well now, and nobody touches it!

I cannot see why anyone shouldn't be able to run a program that produces
signature files on Windows 3.1. I used to do it. It is probably that the
AOL software does not have this option (but then I may be wrong, since I
have never used it). There are many other mail programs that will allow you
to use a signature file. And if you have a slow connection and cannot
download Internet Explorer 4.0 before your provider logs you off, it is
also available on disk for a nominal fee, or for free with disks that come
inside computer magazines.

Patty
WWW: http://www.capricornica.com

Capricornica Publications               on-line natural history bookshop
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask]