From:
Emilio Jorge Power <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 11:37:38 -0400
Dawn Coughlan wrote:

> For Emilio,
> To my knowledge the only area cyp melwardi are found is Tryon Is and One
> Tree Is. Having shelled the Queensland coast on and off for the past 30
> years I can't recall ever collecting cyp melwardi from any other
> locality,the area can't be compromised as it is protected by the marine
> authority, but it is amazing that nice fresh specimens turn up every so
> often, I guess the marine authority don't do too much protecting on the
> southern end of the barrier reef. All cribraria of the melwardi type live
> together with normal types, hope this is of help.
>                         Dawn

Hello!

Hi Dawn,

I have a white Cribrarula cribraria melwardi (Iredale 1930) from; Swain
Reefs, Prong #2 (kind of guess it is a finger of the huge reef area). These
reefs are at the southern end of the Barrier Reef.

Where is Tryon and One Tree? Clue, like, near what city? Or what group of
Islands?

I thought melwardi do not necessarily have to be unspotted? There are all
types
of intergrades, no? The depressed shape and outline are pretty much a
constant character?
Have you collected the whole extent of the Queensland range of cribraria?
Most of the
specimens I have come from intertidal or shallow wates (or so say the data
slips), is this
pretty much where they are?

Also the type specimen of form or variety or subspecies (depends on
authoritarian opinion)
of Cribrarula cribraria zadela (Iredale 1939) was also found within the
Queensland population of cribraria.  Dealers call the very large specimens of
Philippine cribraria a "Zadela" which I suspect is wrong.
Is this zadela also found nearby or sympatric with the melwardi?

Have there been any papers written on the cribraria of Australia other than
what has been very briefly
covered in books or magazines (excuse me, "journals").

--

Later,

Emilio Jorge Power

Please visit;