From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:53:00 -0600
Dear David (Belgium),

I was told that the difference is probably due to water conditions.
calmer water allowing bigger spines, etc.  I believe this is probably
the case (although it doesn't explain the farm raised S. gigas which I
assume was in calm waters but was smooth).  There is still a lot to be
done with this species (as with most mollusk species).  I have what was
sold as a dwarf S. gigas and I have a S. costatus that looks like an
intergrade between S. costatus and the dwarf S. gigas.  I'm not claiming
it is an intergrade -- just that it looks like one when compared to the
dwarf S. gigas.  There is obviously a lot of variability in this species
that is still harvested by the millions to sit in heaps.  My large S.
gigas has a lip almost like that on S. goliath.  Yet others I have seen
have lips with a narrow extension that flares out and crosses to the
spire (I saw these in St Croix years ago).

So I would not be surprised to see some of these synonyms eventually end
up with subspecies status.

Tom Eichhorst in New mexico, USA